The Liaison Committee met Thursday June 14 at 3240 South Woodruff Avenue – Daryl’s office in Idaho Falls. Some of the issues discussed included:
1. John reported the legislative update on behalf of Martin. Our Legislative Committee is moving forward with general review regarding the DOI request to review Rules for consolidation and amendment. The DOI has not articulated any timelines yet. Martin is meeting with many legislators with IPAC donations in hand as we review the changes that are afoot with the primaries and upcoming elections. There will be changes in leadership as well as committee members in the committees we work with. Change of leadership at the Governor’s office will also take place.
2. Other issues we are monitoring are a) the flat fee law that Phil McGrane at Ada County had expressed interest in presenting – a different flat fee that would be one fee for all docs; b) the realtors had opened up dialogue regarding a uniform earnest money instruction that will be explored further this summer; c) the remaining Counties without e-recording (Nez Perce and Shoshone) had projects to move to e-recording by the end of the summer; and, d) the HOA fee bill that passed this current legislative session garnered enough comments that we will be monitoring this issue to see if any changes will be presented in the coming year.
3. Jim had floated out an idea a couple of meetings ago that was presented to the DOI regarding its 5 year title/market conduct audit. The idea would be that underwriters could conduct the audit. Questions about how that would work with independent agents and direct operations was briefly discussed. We are keeping this on the agenda to see how realistic a proposal this is.
4. Bureau of Reclamation and fee title versus easement ROW for ditches and canals was briefly discussed. Comments from those in the eastern part of Idaho indicated that they rarely see this as a fee title scenario.
6. Mark your calendar for the 2018 Pacific NW Convention hosted by the ILTA at the Coeur d’ Alene Resort August 2-4; register; and make your room reservation. Our room block expired but we have an overflow option at the Resort’s sister property the Coeur d’ Alene Inn/Best Western. Registration forms, reservation information, and sponsorship opportunities are attached. Don’t miss out on this excellent opportunity for education and networking. We anticipate 175-200 in attendance with over 20 vendors.
7. As a means to attract more locals to attend the convention we have come up with an option to attend just the Friday ed program that would include the breakfast and lunch for $200/person.
8. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday July 19 at 10:00 at the DOI and will be call in available.