The Liaison Committee met Wednesday October 19 at Alliance Title Parkcenter. Some of the issues discussed included:
1. Jim gave an update on several issues. The Rule 56 amendments have moved through another phase and will go to another printing approximately the first of November. The provision amending and eliminating trade association donations was dropped keeping the original language. The realtors objected to the elimination change as a perceived detriment to their membership. Standing down on this issue allows the other amendments to move forward. Other minor tweaks to the amendments were a little toning down on the social media issue to ensure that it wasn’t perceived as an infringement on free speech. In conjunction with the next printing a legislator (most likely in the House) will be sought as a sponsor for the Rule changes.
2. Jim advised that Arlene Barry is his new contract examiner. They have one more series to complete for this year’s schedule.
3. Jim shared that the NAIC is focusing on title agencies and closing statements in light of increasing cyber fraud.
4. Jim advised that he was contacted by a title office that brought to his attention a regional lender using a Red Vision product versus title insurance products. Jim’s initial investigation indicates the product is marketed as a lot book report but seems to carry itself as insurance as their marketing materials advise of E&O coverage and other insurance tiers. If you have info regarding Red Vision products contact Jim.
5. The next ed seminar is scheduled for Feb 13-14, 2017 at The Grove. We will be bringing back the legislative reception on Monday of the seminar. If there are certain topics you want to see at the seminar please let us know.
6. The 2017 Pacific NW convention will be hosted by Washington at Suncadia August 16-18, 2017.
7. The next meeting will be held Thursday November 10 at the DOI. If you are driving contact Jim who has a limited number of parking passes available – contact Jim by Friday Nov 4. The meeting will also be available by phone. Call in number is: 877-820-7831; passcode: 100119. Callers will not be able to access the meeting until approximately 5 minutes before it starts.