The Liaison Committee met February 11, 2016 at Alliance Title Parkcenter. The meeting was also available via conference call. Some of the issues discussed included:
- Anne Kawalec, Jerry Hastings and Dale Meyers made a presentation on the Ada/Boise County boundary changes. Attached is a copy of the presentation with maps, pictures and surveys. In short, the group advised that no legal descriptions will need to be changed. The changes will have a nominal adjustment on acreage for tax assessments and 911 emergency purposes. Anne will be part of an Ada County Assessor group that will present at the March 3 ed seminar that will also include discussion of the Tax Commission change to the definition of real property that now includes cell towers and bill boards.
- Jim reminded that escrow rate filings are due March 15. Jim and Director Cameron will make a presentation at the March 3 ed seminar. Jim’s presentation will focus on rebates and inducements and actions the DOI has taken.
- Martin advised that Alta Mesa has a bill on the oil and gas lease issue but it appears to be centered on streamlining the permit process so does not look to impact the title industry. Sen. Stennett has asked for an AG opinion on gas leases and their impact on mortgages. We continue to monitor.
- Our Parkwestlegislation is moving forward. An introductory hearing was held Monday Feb 15 with no objections. It will now move to a new bill number and a committee hearing.
- The e-signature /notary issue that came to light last week will not be on this year’s legislative table. We will monitor as it is an issue that will come up in the future.
- Ric advised that his meeting with the Counties on flat recording fees was fairly well received. Martin and John also advised that the Electronic Recording Commission and other County talk also commented favorably on this issue as we move toward building consensus next year. Ric advised that Counties meet again in August. Jerry Lewallen of ePN will be making a presentation on this issue at the ed seminar as it is a national issue that ALTA is following clsoely.
- Please mark your calendar for the 2016 Ed Seminar that is set for March 3-4 at The Grove Hotel in downtown Boise. The seminar is a great opportunity for education and networking. Please make your reservations – the room block was extended to Wednesday February 17 and the block is under the Idaho Land title Association. For reservations call 208-333-8000 or 1-888-961-5000. This year we will have an icebreaker and PAC silent auction from 5-7 Thursday immediately following the last presentation (please bring your auction items to support our PAC fundraising). Featured speakers are Mary Schuster from Ramquest on TRID issues and Matt Reass and Matt Lemma from RynohLive on Best Practices compliance and cyber security issues. We will also have sessions on fraud schemes and claims, case law review, a TRID panel discussion and more.
- Recent liaison meetings have discussed the issue regarding closings done out of the County from where the property is located and possible Rule 56 changes. Cameron will lead a discussion at the ed seminar to collect comments from members on these important issues. You can also submit comments to the ILTA. The DOI has requested position statements from the ILTA by March 15 and the Board wants to hear comments from agents of all sizes and from all parts of the state as the issues impact everyone differently.
- The 2016 Pacific NW convention is set for September 9-11 and will be hosted by Oregon in Sunriver.
- The next meeting is Wednesday 3:00 March 2 at The Grove Hotel.